Cristina Chiappini is a graphic and media designer, art director, began its activities in 1989.
Her studio work in various areas of the visual comunication: event and exhibition design, brand and corporate identity, editorial design and information design, web design and interaction design, social campaigns, TV Channel and TV motion graphic identity.
She was creative director (2007 - 2013) of the portal Triennale Design Museum of Fondazione Museo del Design (Milan).
She was chosen by the Italian Ministry of Heritage and Culture, part of the Italian Design Council, 2007.
She was Vice-President (2006 - 2009) AIAP Italian Association of Visual Communication Design and a member since 1989. He is currently a member of the Council AIAP Lazio (2010-2015).
Member of BEDA reg. – The Bureau of European Design Associations.
She curated the following international exhibitions and events in the field of visual communication:
– In 2011 she was organizing with Alexandra Sankova of cultural exchange project "Italy / Russia for Graphic Design", in which she has been co curator of the exhibition Contemporary Italian Social and Cultural Communication Design show in Rome at the event Unicità d’Italia at Macro Testaccio La Pelanda end in Mosca at the Red October Best of Contemporary Italian Social and Cultural Graphic Design.
– In 2010 she co-authored with Silvia Sfligiotti of the publication Open Projects, Des identités non standard for the french publisher Pyramyd and of the exhibition "Open Projects ..........* and ..........* in contemporary visual communication. *multiplicity, diversity, flexibility, connections, exchanges, relations." exhibited at the Festival international de l'affiche and graphisme du Chaumont.
- In 2008 she was the curator for AIAP of the international event Icograda Design Week 2008 Torino - Multiverso, "Nodes, connections and currents in contemporary visual communication." Inside the program Torino World Design Capital. She edited with Silvia Sfligiotti the panels of Multiverse conference, Multiverso Exhibition and 4 workshops (2008, Politecnico di Torino).
She organized the lectures by Steven Heller at Palazzo delle Esposizioni of Rome:
Iron Fists: Branding the 20th-Century Totalitarian State (2009); Design Intervention / Design of Dissent (2010); Typology: Exploring Eccentric, Eclectic and Erotic Type (2012); Paul Rand at Sapienza Rome University (2012).
PUBLICATIONS, PAPERS AND ARTICLES
In 2010 she co-authored with Silvia Sfligiotti publication Open Projects, Des identités non standard, étapes collection for french publisher Pyramyd. Published in 2011 iPod version.
The publisher Phaidon has dedicated to her work a personal section in Area 2, 2008.
She is co-author with Paolo Rigamonti of the paper "Interaction Design" for Italian Eciclopedia Treccani, Enciclopedia del XXI Secolo, 2010.
Her works have been published in leading international magazines and books in the field of visual communication:
– Print magazine on-line, USA (2013);
– The New Italian Design, Triennale Design Museum, Italy (2013);
– Plaster 4, Poland (2013);
– Roma Creativa, Italy (2012);
– étapes n. 200, Pyramyd Edition, Paris (2012);
– New Graphic Magazine n. 26, Cina (2011);
– La Mano del Grafico, FAI – Fondo Ambiente Italiano, Italy (2011);
– étapes International n. 22, Pyramyd Edition, Paris (2010);
– étapes International n. 21, Pyramyd Edition, Paris (2010);
– étapes n. 165, Pyramyd Edition, Paris (2009);
– Love Design, Daad Edition, Germany (2009);
– Area 2 Phaidon, London (2008);
– Eye magazine n. 68, 2008 (GB);
– The Anatomy of Design, Steve Heller e Mirko Ilic, New York (2007);
– D CASA La Repubblica delle Donne, Italy (2007);
– Print Magazine 10th European Annual, New York (2005);
– Marie Claire, Taiwan (2005);
– Redwineandgreen, 24 Italian Graphic Designers, Venezia (2004);
– Progetto Grafico AIAP n. 1, 6, 9, 14/15;
– ADI Design Index, Italy (2003);
– Page magazine n.1, Germany (2003);
– Abitare n. 408, Italy (2001).
She has exhibited her projects in the exhibition:
– NID The New Italian Design, Centro Cultural La Moneda, Santiago del Cile, 2013 – 2014
– Mandela Poster Project Collection, Peacemakers Museum, Sandton Johannesburg, South Africa 2013
– Mandela Poster Project Collection, Open Design Cape Town, South Africa 2013
– Mandela Poster Project Collection, University of Pretoria, South Africa 2013
– NID The New Italian Design, Cannery Galleries, Academy of Art University, San Francisco 2013
– PLASTER. International Festival of Poster and Typography Design, Poland, Torun 2013
– NID The New Italian Design 2.0, Alhóndiga Bilbao 2013;
– NID The New Italian Design 2.0, National Taiwan Craft Research and Developement Institute, Nantou Taiwan 2012;
– NID The New Italian Design 2.0, Beijing Industrial Design Center, Pechino Cina 2012;
– The Best of Contemporary Italian Social and Cultural Communication Design, Red October Mosca 2011;
– Contemporary Italian Social and Cultural Communication Design, Unicità d’Italia, Macro Testaccio La Pelanda, Roma 2011;
– NID The New Italian Design 2.0, Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Santralistanbul, Istanbul Turchia 2010;
– Spaghetti Grafica 2, La Triennale di Milano, Milano 2009;
– Annisettanta. Il decennio lungo del secolo breve, La Triennale di Milano, Milano 2007;
– NID The New Italian Design, Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Madrid 2007;
– NID The New Italian Design, La Triennale di Milano, Milano 2007;
– Fiera delle PMI di Canton, Cina 2006;
– Give Peace Another Chance, 33 bandiere per la pace, Venezia 2006;
– Bold Nuovi Grafici Italiani, Mestre 2002;
– GNAM Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna di Roma, 1999;
– Interaction Design, nuovi designer per nuovi media, Palazzo dell'Arengario, Milano 1999;
– Prima Biennale Parchi Natura e Ambiente curata da Achille Bonito Oliva, American Accademy of Rome, Roma 1998.
Museum / Art / Design / Fashion
Triennale Design Museum
La Triennale di Milano
Fondation Cartier pour l’Art Contemporain Paris
Studio Museo Achille Castiglioni
Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali
Soprintendenza per i Beni Storici, Artistici ed Etnoantropologici del Lazio
Cité des Sciences – Museum of Sciences and Planetarium of Tunis
Marithé + François Girbaud
Texao – italian fabric producer
Nice – automation systems for the home
Maxdesign – italian design furniture producer
Pianca – design living made in italy
Institutions / Banks
Ministero degli Affari Esteri Italiano
Banca del Mediocredito Centrale
IRI Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale
Assicurazioni Generali SpA
Roma Servizi per la mobilità S.r.l.
Atac S.p.A. – Azienda Tramvie ed Autobus del Comune di Roma
MN Metropolitana di Napoli
Publishing / Editorial
Enciclopedia Italiana Treccani
Editore Irradiazioni di Maria Emanuela Gargallo di Castel Lentini
RIVE – Review of Politics and Culture of the Mediterranean
Organizations / Non Profit
Aidos – Associazione donne per lo sviluppo
UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
Euronet Against FGM – European Network for the Prevention and Eradication of Harmful Traditional Practices Affecting the Health of Woman and Children, in particular Female Genital Mutilation.
Istituto Pasteur Fondazione cenci Bolognetti
EMDR Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
Centri Trasfusionali Regione Lazio
UNIMED Università del Mediterraneo – Association of 51 Athenaeums of the Mediterranean
Foundation for International Studies – Università di Malta
AIC – Italian association Authors of the Cinematographic Photography
Roma Convention Group SpA
Toscano Immobiliare SpA
Gianni Origoni & Partners – International study of lawyers (Rome, London, N.Y.)
Campo Felice SpA – Station Winter Sports
Italia Pronto Moda – Agency Promotion Development Fashion
School of Visual Art – New York
Strelka Istitute – Moscow
IUAV Università di Venezia – Venezia/Treviso
UNIRSM Università della Repubblica di San Marino
Facoltà di Architettura, Sapienza Università di Roma – Roma
Accademia di belle Arti – Roma
ISIA Istituto per Industrie Artistiche – Roma
RUFA University of Fine Arts – Roma
Scuola Politecnica di Design – Milano
IED Istituto Europeo di Design – Roma
ICEI Multimedia – Roma
Istituto Quasar – Roma
She teaches graphic design, visual communication and media design since 1990.
– Since 2007 she is a professor in the Laboratory of Graphic Design in the Post Graduate Course in Design, Visual Communication and Multimedia, Faculty of Architecture, Sapienza University of Rome.
– Since 2007 she is a professor in the Laboratory of Multimedia and Web-design in the Undergraduate Degree in Industrial Design UNIRSM University the Republic of San Marino - IUAV University of Venice.
– Since 2010 she is a professor in the Laboratory of Graphic Design in the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome.
– Since 2009 she is a professor in the Masters Workshop in Italy for the School of Visual Art of New York.
– From 2005 to 2011 she has held series of seminars/workshops "Basic Interactive Kinetic Design" at the IUAV University of Venice Faculty of Arts and Design for the Prof. Giovanni Anceschi and Gabriele De Vecchi.
– From 2004 to 2007 she was a professor in the Laboratory of Web-design HCI human-computer interaction II Course, Department of Computer Science, University of Rome "Sapienza" Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences.
– From 2006 to 2007 she was a professor in the Laboratory Infomobility Design, Degree Transportation Engineering Course, Univesity of Roma Tre, Science Department of Civil Engineering.
– Since 1990 she has been teaching for several years at the Istituto Europeo di Design of Rome for these disciplines: Two-dimensional Animation, Type-Design, Design Experiment and coordinator of the Web-design course.
CONFERENCES AND LECTURES
She has lectured at various international design schools:
– Strelka Istitute, Mosca (2011);
– School of Visual Art of New Work, Masters Workshop in Italy (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009);
– IUAV Università di Venezia, “I discorsi di marca. Semiotica, design e branding” (2011);
– IUAV Università di Venezia, “New Basic Design” (2009);
– Shapeshifters, Brussels (2007);
– ISIA Roma (2011, 2007);
– Scuola Politecnica di Design, Milano (2007,2010);
– Icograda Design Week 2006, Seattle, USA (AIGA);
– IUAV Università di Venezia, “Metamorfosi/processi/eventi: le nuove dimensioni del design della comunicazione” (2006);
– IN/ARCH Roma (2004);
– MiArt, Milano (2004).
juries and awards
She was a member of the international juries:
– Poster fot tomorrow Paris (2012)
– ADCI – Art Directors Club Italiano Award, President of the jury for the design, Milan (2012)
– Posterheroes Turin (2011)
– Adobe Design Achievement Award competition, San Jose, USA (2009)
– Red Dot Award Communication Design, Essen Germany (2003-2004-2005-2007)
– Torino World Design Capital, Italy (2008)
ED-Awards Europea Design Awards 2013, Silver for Book Cover
She has been nominated for the Compasso d'Oro ADI 2004.